SLAVERY IN NYC
Great News In East Harlem
The 126th Street depot in East Harlem — one of New York’s oldest bus depots — will close its doors in January to become a memorial for slaves found buried there.
About 7 years ago construction workers first discovered a 17th-century African burial ground at the depot located between 1st and 2nd avenues. The MTA had planned to upgrade the dilapidated depot, which originally opened in 1947 as a trolley yard starting, next year, but community demands to convert the site into a memorial shut that down. Before that the land — once home to Harlem’s first house of worship, the Elmendorf Reformed Church, from 1665 until 1869 — started as a cemetery after Peter Stuyvesant ordered African slaves to build a 9-mile road from lower Manhattan to what was then an unincorporated part of the city known as “Nieuw Haarlem.”